Wednesday, February 4, 2015

How It All Began





If someone had told me in 2013 that I would have a doll business/hobby within one year, I would have assured them they were mistaken. I was only interested in making a few art dolls for fun.
    
I have been interested in art dolls for some time and had started researching ways to make them, but I am an artist with a degree in graphic design and a focus on drawing and painting. 
    
The little Titian-haired beauty pictured here is the person who launched a new hobby for me at the end of 2013; a hobby that turned into a business within a few months.

When our kids posted a picture of our granddaughter holding a poster-sized letter to Santa asking for an iPad, her two front teeth and an American Girl doll, I remembered seeing some nice used AG dolls among my research.

 I bought 3 AG dolls in fairly good condition, cleaned and restored them, made outfits for them and had my granddaughter choose which she wanted. I sold the other two, bought a few more and was hooked. 

I also discovered the gorgeous My Twinn 23” posable dolls and made a custom doll to look like my granddaughter.

I purchased other contemporary dolls to restore and see how they were made. I have gained a wealth of knowledge this past year and am looking forward to making my own dolls.

 I will continue to restore or customize contemporary dolls on commission, but once my current inventory is sold, I will no longer purchase dolls to restore, but will be making my own designs.

In the meantime, I am also dabbling in "reborn" babies (dolls) and custom painting small dolls to look like actual people I know. It's all fun and a great journey.

I invite you to follow along by email or to just drop in from time to time. 

If you collect, make, or are just interested in dolls, I would love to hear from you.

Niki O'Reilly

No comments:

Post a Comment